Translate

domingo, 13 de octubre de 2013

Raul and Juan Jose's Class: My Pet

Hello, again my classmates! 



This time I will discuss some of the interesting facts about Raul and Juan José class. Their topic was about "My pet". They had to include in the grammar part, "Do you have a ..Yes, I do. No, I don't". I thought at the begining that the children were not going to be able to understand this part. Though, I was willing to see how my partners were going to develop the topic and the other items of the class. 
They started sharply. Students were given the opportunity to go to the bathroom so they cannot interrupt the class in the practice stage. Then, the class started. The first one to teach was Juan José. He started to show the students flashcards with the animals: cat, dog, snake, rabbit, turtle and bird. They loved the pictures, they recognized some like dog and cat. Then, Juan José asked them to select the word that he elicited, like "cat" and an specific child was called to grab the name and stick it in the chart. This was very nice managed and controlled by Juan. 
I also like the fact that at the begining they use a power point presentation to show the pictures of the animals. They even count the letters one by one, this was useful because we again observed how much they are internalizing the vocabulary.
The images were clear and neat for the students to understand. 


Then, Juan  ask the students to make a circle, then the teacher will show them a wrong flashcard and he said: "Is this a cat?"  and students responded accordingly to the picture. Amazingly, the students responded to the questions that Juan asked! I was so surprised and happy for this!

I want to point out that Raul in the next activity created a good activity, but I think that the instructions were long and complicated for them to get the idea. Also, he seemed to be nervous because it was the first contact he had. He also did not modeled how he wanted the activity to be done. I think that if he had done the modeling, he could have had reached his aim. Thought, after this Raul seemed to be better. 


Images too complex  and dark to understand complicate their visual area.

The next activity "sharks are coming" failed in the following aspects: 

1. The picture he wanted to use was to dark to see and in this picture Michelle was struggling to see what was the image about. Then, the sharks were not one but three! I think that this was because the activity called out to be plural. Thus,  I think that this activity was not so easy to do. I think that it was designed for a teen group, because it involved many instructions. 

However, Raul shine in the last activity where he gave the students a kind of book with gaps to fill in.  This was so nice to see kids filling the spaces and getting the message of the activities. I just saw that they were very interested in completing the book and showing them to Raul; I just noticed that they were not receiving any motivation when they finished the activity. I think Raúl, could have thought on giving them something in reward. After this, they had the book to take out and were very happy!!!!








Case of Study: Imelda!

Imelda was very enthusiastic to practice! I think that Imelda was very shy in some things because they sometimes do not understand the whole message! in the case of Imelda, she is being helped by Maritza, but this does not interfere at the moment when she is asked about something! She responded according to what she is asked and then she continued to anything she was doing. I liked when she was doing the activity  of the animal's book. She even asked Raúl about the reading area because she is not able to read in Spanish nor even in English, though she filled the gaps of the animals. 


1 comentario:

  1. I like your observation about what Raul should have done when students came to show him the finished task. A seal, a signature or a simple written "ok" would have been enough for them; keep in mind that a written task requires a written reward and an oral achievement requires any oral reward as well.

    Good points!

    ResponderEliminar